The PIA would like to welcome the new, SAIA appointed CEO, MR MTHEMBENI MKHIZE.
Press Release by SAIA:
The South African Institute of Architects (SAIA) is pleased to announce the appointment of its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Mr. Mthembeni Mkhize.
This appointment comes after an extensive interview process, headed by an Interview Selection Panel comprising of the SAIA Management Committee, Chair of Transformation, Practice Committee Expert, and a Recruitment Agency.
The SAIA Board approved the appointment of Mr. Mkhize and is looking forward to working with him as of 03 August 2020, when he officially takes office as CEO. He will be relocating from KZN to join the team at the National Office which has now moved to the Design District Building, 3rd Floor, Cnr Tyrwhitt Avenue & Keyes Avenue in Rosebank.
SAIA would like to extend its welcome to our new CEO and wish him all the best in his role and taking the organisation forward.
Below is an executive summary of Mthembeni Mkhize.
Dr Luyanda Mpahlwa
Mthembeni Lawrence Mkhize
Mthembeni Mkhize as an academic, industrialist, business executive, a practicing architect, urban planner and intelligent transport specialist has dedicated his life to working closely with communities in order to develop a high level of interaction and create human living environments, which truly reflect the needs of the people who have participated in their own ongoing development.
Mthembeni Mkhize, is one of the leading Academics, Business Executives in the Design, Manufacturing and Service Industries in Africa. He spent time as a visiting Professor at Schools of Architecture and Design in Princeton University, Harvard University, University of California Los Angeles, Illinois Institute of Technology, Pen State University, Miami University, Howard University, to name a few. His extensive travel has given him an opportunity to learn from various cultures of the world. He is a Fellow of Eisenhower Fellowships which identifies, empowers, and connects innovative leaders in a global network of dynamic change agents. He also enjoys golf and soccer as a sport.
Past Board of Directors Membership and others
- Advisor Gauteng Provincial Minister of Housing
- Deputy Chairperson Khula Enterprise Finance – Department of Trade and Industry
- Member of International Marketing Council of South Africa
- President of Intelligent Transport System Society South Africa
- Board Member National Home Builders Registration Council
- Deputy Chairperson Moses Kotane Institute of Maths and Science
- Head of School of Architecture Planning and Housing – University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Scroll of Honor by KwaZulu Natal Institute of Architects 2015
- Businessman of the Year 2003/2004 Black Business Quarterly Magazine and BMW
- Nominated – Ernst and Young Auditors World Entrepreneur of the Year
DECLARATION OF INTENT
For the benefit of the Architectural Profession, Mthembeni Mkhize as a business executive brings the following skills to the SAIA Membership, Board, Management Committee, Regions, National Office and Committee:
- High level of integrity
- Vast knowledge and experience in corporate governance and corporate dynamics
- Strategic Thinking
- Scientific Research Skills
- Experience in creating efficiency in business operations
- Understanding of the local stakeholders and the global markets
- Problem solving skills
Skills in working with people