University of the Witwatersrand (WITS)
Head Of School:
Professor Nmandi Elleh
Architecture is a creative, scientific, and technical discipline dealing with the creation of the built environment for human habitation.
The Bachelor of Architectural Studies (BAS) programme is a three-year, full-time course of study offering a gateway to a potentially diverse field of professional career paths, both within the architectural discipline or peripheral to it.
Architecture is the generation of social and cultural heritage in the form of built spaces. It is a profession with long-lasting influences and consequences for both current and future generations. Although architects are primarily responsible for the design of buildings and their surrounding environments, the profession is evolving to include other important forms of design, including space planning, building materials, and the integration of the built and ecological environments, amongst other possibilities.
2. No specific subject combinations are required, but the following minimum entry criteria apply:
– A Wits APS of 34 or higher. In some cases, applicants with exceptional scores on the admission exercise and interview may be considered with an APS between 29 and 33. Under no circumstances will an applicant with an APS score below 29 be considered for admission.
– A minimum of 50% in Mathematics on the National Senior Certificate (NSC) exam. Mathematical Literacy is not accepted.
– A minimum of 50% in English Home Language OR First Additional Language on the NSC exam.
3. Applicants from international education systems who do not complete NSC exams must meet Faculty exemption requirements, after which an equivalent APS score and subject scores will be modelled to ensure equal comparison with South African applicants.
BAS Additional application requirements:
– Complete the general application to Wits by June 30th of the year prior to the academic year, and select the Bachelor of Architectural Studies degree as one of your preferred degrees.
– Download and read the BAS Application process document (available here), which outlines the procedures and deadlines for the required application exercise.
– Submit your application exercise before the published deadline.
– Applicants who perform well on the exercise will be invited to an interview (as outlined in the application document). The interview is also a required step of the process.
– Applicants who complete all steps of the process and meet the minimum entry criteria for the degree will be considered for admission.
– Because space in the programme is limited, meeting the minimum entry criteria and completing all the required steps does not guarantee admission. Offers are made by an applicant’s rank relative to the current year’s applicant pool, and typically many applicants are placed on a waiting list.
Please note, as a new member, there will be a once-off administrative fee of R150-00.
// GET IN TOUCH
// RENT OUR BOARDROOM
// VISIT OUR ONLINE STORE
273 Tram street,